While preparing to extract your impacted wisdom tooth, there are some instructions that you need to follow. In this article, you will understand why these are necessary. If you need wisdom teeth removal anytime soon, this is for you. First, let’s refresh our minds on what a wisdom tooth is.
What Is A Wisdom Tooth?
A wisdom tooth grows around the back teeth (premolar or molar). They can also grow in other parts of the teeth, but that is rare. Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars, and they happen primarily to adolescents under the age of 17-25. They are usually impacted and painful because they are stuck in your gums or jawbone. They might also affect other surrounding teeth. Wisdom tooth also occurs when your mouth isn’t spacious enough to accommodate them.
An impacted wisdom tooth isn’t a minor case as it can lead to other severe health and dental conditions. Asides from the excruciating pain that you could feel, the wisdom tooth can damage the neighboring tooth or lead to gum diseases, dry sockets, and benign tumors.
Now you see that it is crucial to see the dentist when you notice an impacted tooth. Your dentist would check your teeth and refer you to an oral surgeon since the extraneeds to be a surgical type. However, you would be under an anesthetic during the surgery, so you don’t need to worry about discomfort or pain.
What You Should Do Before Getting Your Wisdom Tooth Removed
- On the day before your surgery, your dentist would give you some guidelines to prepare.
It would be best if you didn’t drink or eat anything after midnight before your surgery. Administering anesthesia on a full stomach can cause complications such as airways blockage.
- It would be best if you were transparent to your dentist about the kinds of drugs that you are currently taking. This is because some medicines are not to be taken before surgery. Also, some medications can cause problems with sedatives.
- Don’t smoke for 12 hours before your surgery. It is best if you don’t smoke at all.
- Stay away from alcohol. Alcohol poses a threat to your surgery.
- Arrange for a driver or family member to pick you up after the surgery. You won’t be allowed to drive yourself because of the effects of the anesthesia.
- You should arrange a room at home where you can rest immediately you get home without disturbance. You can also get your favorite books ready or keep the tv remote where it would be easily accessible by you.
- Store the right kinds of foods as suggested by your dentist. You would be too tired to cook, so you should prepare these foods before your surgery and store them well. Your dentist would advise that you eat soft foods like mashed potatoes, smoothies, and other fluffy foods.
- Make sure to put on comfy clothes when coming for your surgery. Remove your contacts and make use of glasses instead.
- Ladies should wear short hair or pull their hair backward. Also, you can drop your makeup at home; you would not need it. Do not wear pieces of jewelry and get rid of your nail polish.
- You can drop your phone with your family member cause you wouldn’t need it inside the operating room.
If you have other questions, you can always ask our dentists in Garden Lakes Family Dentistry.
Wisdom Teeth Caring Tips
After your wisdom teeth removal, you must practice good dental care to prevent complications. It is normal to develop some swelling and pain around the operated site. Your dentist would prescribe some pain killers to get rid of the pain.
- You can take care of your dental health after wisdom teeth removal by following these guidelines.
- Do not make use of your brush after the surgery. Instead, make use of a gentle mouthwash and floss for 24 hours. You can also use salt water but do not forcefully spit the water out. Just allow the water to leak out of your mouth slowly.
- You can always change your gauze as frequently as you want to. The gauze would help to control the bleeding.
- Eat soft foods like mashed potatoes, pudding, milkshakes, or broth.
- Try to stay hydrated as it would fasten your recovery.
- You can go back to your normal daily activities after four days if you like.